Tuesday

From Snow to Sand...



Beach Time Memories
Commissioned Family Portrait
Mixed Media wrap around painting
12"x16"x1.5"
© Laura DeDonato


One of the best parts of my work is bringing memories to life, and sometime back to life. The gentleman who commissioned this portrait of his kids for his wife as a Christmas gift came to me with a cute picture. The only problem was that the photograph was a printed scan of the original, which was washed out, scratched and had a fold in it (see photograph below). I was able to take the photo and recapture the memory as he described it in a painting. I brightened the colors and added more contrast and a light source. I also added some textured medium to the sand which gives it a great 3D effect in person. The painting continues around the edges, so it doesn't need a frame, and it draws you in from all sides. The kids are now 18 and 20, so I hope the whole family had a Merry Christmas and enjoys the painting!



Happy Holidays and wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

No comments: